very interesting article

Thu, 02 Mar 2000 00:53:44 -0800
v100.n021.25
This URL is for the San Francisco Chronicle's article titled "A Passion for
Artisan Breads".

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2000/03/01/FD
26043.DTL&type=printable

If you can't click on it and have it come up then copy it and paste it into
the window of your browser.  Since they didn't give me permission to put
the article into the digest you will have to go to it.

If you are ever in the Freestone, CA area this would be an interesting
place to visit.  Hopefully Jeff and I can get there sometime soon and
report back about it.

If you can't get to the article while it is still available on the
newspaper's web site here is a short excerpt from the article.....

 >Once the bakery opened, Wallach, a single parent of four, wasn't sure if
 >it would be able to sustain itself. But he quickly made a name for himself
 >by packing his bread with enough seasonal, "wild" ingredients to make one
 >slice a complete meal. Recently, he combined Montasio cheese, baked
 >potatoes, onion and sage to create a version of fougasse, a long,
 >ladder-shaped bread. The crust is hard and crisp, and it's meant to
 >counteract the chewy, intense flavors inside.
 >
 >"We've had something short of a miracle, "Wallach says of the store's
 >success. Customers now come in as soon as the store opens each week and
 >ask, "What are you cooking today, Jed?"
 >
 >He refers the questions back to his daughter, Mia, whose most recent
 >experiments include Ruby Bread with cranberry, almonds and nutmeg;
 >Egyptian with pear, fig and candied ginger; and Squash Loaf with butternut
 >squash, curry and orange.

Reggie