soft cheese bread

"Schmitt, Barbara E." <BSchmitt@goulstonstorrs.com>
Mon, 6 Mar 2000 08:03:48 -0500
v100.n024.20
I have been meaning to post this recipe for a while, as it is one of my all
time favorite bread recipes.  Nothing fancy, but great bread and virtually
foolproof.  Our kids go wild over it; they especially love it toasted.  I
have made it by hand, in a KitchenAid, and in my ZO ABM; it works great in
all of them.  What follows is the ABM version, together with minimal
directions for making it outside the machine.  If anyone wants more explicit
non-machine directions, email me.

Cheese Bread (adapted from Fannie Farmer Cookbook, 12th Ed., Alfred A.
Knopf)

1/2 c milk
1/2 c hot water
1 T butter or bacon fat or any shortening
1 T sugar
3c flour
1 1/4 t salt
3/4 - 1 1/2 c grated cheese (pre-grated supermarket cheddar works great, but
if you want something celestial, try a hard smoked cheese, such as provolone
or cheddar)
1 1/2 t yeast

Put all ingredients in a bread machine, and put through the regular cycle
(light crust if you have the option).

When I make it outside the machine, I double it to make two loaves.  Make it
like any standard dough through the first rising; punch down, shape and
place in two greased loaf pans.  Let rise again.  Bake at 425F for 15 mins;
then at 375 for about 30 mins more until done.  Cool out of pans on a wire
rack.

Enjoy!  Barbara