bread with Kalamata olives and feta cheese

"J. Mathew" <joanm@bigfoot.com>
Mon, 6 Mar 2000 08:28:28 -0600
v100.n024.22
 > I recently came across a recipe for bread containing the above items.  I
 > bought the necessary ingredients, now I can't find the recipe.  Can anyone
 > help me?

Kathy,
   I'm not sure exactly what kind of bread recipe you had, but here is one
that would work very well with those ingredients.  I've made it in all
kinds of variations, depending on my mood of the day or taste
cravings!  Recipe pasted below...you can find lots more bread recipes on my
Web site. Some of those would also be compatible with the ingredients
you've got.

Enjoy,
Joan
--
Email: gardngirl@geocities.com
Recipe Archive:  http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/8098/recipes.html

Ciabatta with Olives and Italian Herbs
--------------------------------------

Makes:  2 loaves

Sponge:
1 c. bread flour
2 t. sugar
2-1/2 t. active dry yeast
3/4 c. warm water (approx. 110-120F -- warm to the wrist)

Blend ingredients together thoroughly in medium bowl.  Cover; place in
refrigerator for 12-24 hours.

Bread:
Sponge starter (preferably at room temperature)
4 c. bread flour
1 to 1-1/4 c. warm water (approx. 110-120F -- warm to the wrist)
2 t. powdered milk
1/4 t. ground ginger
1/4 t. ground cayenne pepper
2-1/2 t. active dry yeast
1 t. salt
4-6 T. Italian herbs (I like to use a mixture of oregano, basil, and
     thyme -- you can use fresh, chopped herbs or dried herbs)
2.25 oz. can of sliced ripe olives, well drained

2 T. bread or all-purpose flour

Preheat oven to 425F (400F if using convection).

In a large mixing bowl, combine all bread ingredients (sponge through ripe
olives) and knead for 7-9 minutes.  Turn dough out onto a floured work
surface and divide into two equal portions (you may also make 4
individual-sized bread loaves).  The dough will be sticky and soft, so you
may wish to flour your hands before working with the dough.

Roll each portion into a roughly oval shape approximately 3/4" thick. These
breads are more beautiful if they are shaped irregularly.  Dust loaves
lightly with flour.  Place loaves on a baking sheet sprinkled lightly with
cornmeal.  Let rise for 20-30 minutes until doubled in thickness and puffy.

Bake for 25-27 minutes until loaves are slightly browned on top and sound
hollow when tapped.  Remove from oven; cool on wire rack.

NOTE:  these loaves are excellent when used for sandwiches or "quick"
pizzas.

For sandwiches:  slice loaf in half horizontally; toast lightly.  Top one
half with sandwich filling, place other half on top.  Serve.

For quick pizzas:  brush very lightly with olive oil and other pizza
toppings (cheese, tomato sauce, pepperoni, chopped fresh vegetables, herbs)
and place under broiler until cheese is melted and bubbly.  Serve immediately.