A great loaf of challah

"Sue & Sam" <suesam@pipeline.com>
Wed, 15 Mar 2000 19:05:10 -0500
v100.n027.20
MY Challah

Biga:
1/2 cup of water (preferably bottled) , 1/8 tsp yeast and enough ap flour
to make a thick paste.
Let sit covered - in or out of the refrigerator.  I think that leaving it
out gives it a bit of a flavor).  Next day, add some more water and flour,
and do this once again the following day.  You have a yeast that is raring
to go at that point.

I used two cups of the biga.  (This will make three nice loaves)
2 1/2 cups water - bopttled water seems to be the best
4 tsp yeast
5 eggs
2 tbsp honey
2 tsp diastatic malt (just trying it - seems to do nicely)
4 tbsp applesauce
1 cup rye flour
4 cups bread flour
1 tbsp salt
enough white flour to thicken the dough and knead it for 10 minutes

Put kneaded dough in oiled bowl.  I cover that with a damp towel and saran
wrap.  Let it rise until it is doubled (a 1/2 inch finger imprint in the
dough remains at this point).  When it is doubled, knead it for another
minute or two and divide into three portions.  I have gotten lazy when it
comes to braiding challah, so I have simply put it in bread pans - or take
my dough, cut it in thirds and then place those three pieces into the bread
pan.  Cover, and let rise until doubled - again with the finger imprint
test.  When it is risen, paint the top with an egg wash ( 1 egg + 2 tbsp
water - mixed)  and then you can sprinkle the top with poppy or sesame
seeds - or simply leave as it is.

Have a preheated oven 400 degrees.  Put the bread in on a rack and after 10
minutes turn the heat down to 375.  I let this go for another 20 minutes,
remove from the pan, and remove the loaf from the pan,  giving another coat
of the egg wash - and put this loaf on my stone which has been in the oven
the whole time and is well heated.  Don't put the pans directly on the
stone initially or they will prevent the stone  from getting as hot as it
should. After the loaves are recoated and placed on the stone, give them
another 10-12 minutes.  They are done when the loaf sounds hollow as you
tap the bottom of it.  If you don't have a stone, just leave the loaf in
the pan. I use PAM or my own type PAM (lecithin liquid 1/2 cup and olive
oil 1 cup in a jar)  on the inside of the pan before putting the dough
in.  Then the loaf pops out very nicely.  Let cool on a rack.

For fancier challah you can add some vanilla, more honey or sugar, raisins
that have been plumped.