sponge for rye bread.

"Phyllis Tesch" <patesch@execpc.com>
Sat, 25 Mar 2000 21:24:57 -0600
v100.n030.13
I have been making Bernard Clayton's Old Milwaukee Rye bread.  It calls for
a sponge made with rye, water, yeast and caraway seeds.  The sponge can be
used as early as 6 hours later or as late as 3 days later.  I've been
leaving it for 3 days.  But I have some questions:

First question:  it calls for 1 package dry yeast.  I use instant yeast
(Fleischmann's) and buy it in bulk.  How much should I use?

Second question:  Can I mix the sponge and let it work in the stainless
steel KitchenAid mixing bowl?  I haven't done that yet, not being sure if
the bowl will 'harm' the sponge in some way.  But my largest glass bowl is
barely big enough to contain it.

Got any opinions?

Phyllis Tesch

p.s.  this list is great!  I have to monitor some lists which relate to my
job and they contain such drivel.  On this list, every week there are lots
of useful posts.  Thanks.