Shortcake

"Schmitt, Barbara E." <BSchmitt@goulstonstorrs.com>
Mon, 27 Mar 2000 14:04:07 -0500
v100.n030.15
Ok, I know, it's not REALLY bread, but anything that tastes this celestial
toasted and spread with strawberry jam deserves to be posted here.

Rich Shortcake

3 c. all purpose flour
4 t. baking powder
1/2 c. sugar
1 t. salt
1 stick butter (use the real thing, preferably unsalted)
1 egg, beaten with enough milk to make 1 c.
More sugar

Mix the dry ingredients.  Cut in the butter.  Add the liquid to make a soft
dough.  Form into 6 (humongous) or 8 (somewhat more reasonable sized)
shortcakes.  Sprinkle tops heavily with sugar.  Bake on a greased cookie
sheet in 400 - 425 oven for 15-17 minutes, until tops are light golden.

Now, this makes GREAT strawberry shortcake, especially the old-fashioned
style where you pour the unwhipped cream over the berries and the shortcake.
But be sure to make enough for leftovers, because what you REALLY want to do
is split them horizontally the next morning, toast them lightly, and spread
them with strawberry jam.  I know, they are kind of crumbly, and they make a
mess in the toaster (opt for the toaster oven if you can), but believe me,
it's worth it.

And when strawberries go out of season, there are always peaches....