Re: La Cloche

CLRob99@aol.com
Sat, 1 Apr 2000 09:05:00 EST
v100.n031.20
OK Tarheel, here goes. I sometimes use a rompertopf (clay cooker) for French
type bread, which is really the same thing as a cloche. But it's a bit of a
fuss and the thing is so large with its domed lid that it takes up the whole
oven. After an initial rush of enthusiasm I got lazy and haven't used the
clay cooker for bread in a long time. You have to use very high heat, start
in a cold oven, and cook longer than normal. But I think my main objection is
the limit of  having only one loaf in the oven at a time.