La Cloche

Lynn E Cragholm <lest2@juno.com>
Sat, 8 Apr 2000 12:38:12 -0800
v100.n034.1
When considering the many responses received about using a La Cloche for
bread baking, one must experiment with (1) beginning the baking process
by placing the La Cloche in  a cold oven and then turning on the heat, or
(2) preheating the oven to a high temperature (anywhere from 400F to 450F),
which is turned to a lower temperature after a loaf has
baked for a few minutes.   Yet another method, that I read about the
other day in the Superstone Country Kitchen Stoneware Cookbook by Kay
Emel-Powell, published in February 2000 (purchased through Chef's
Catalog), is placing the La Cloche lid in the oven while the oven is
preheating.  I've not had an opportunity to try this yet, but I shall do
this the next time I use my La Cloche.

There apparently is no one way and no right or wrong way to use the La
Cloche.  Bread bakers are to have fun experimenting and determining their
personal preference (which also applies to scalding versus not scalding
milk).   I personally find that baking time with the La Cloche is fairly
fast when preheating the oven to a high temperature before placing the La
Cloche in the oven.  I wonder if, when the lid is preheated, the baking
time will be a trifle quicker.   I shall have an answer the next time I
use my La Cloche.

I agree with the comment that the La Cloche takes up lots of space in the
oven.   That's OK with me, though, because I wasn't going to use the oven
for anything else at the same time anyway.   Some might not like using
the La Cloche because the height of the lid and handle necessitate it
being placed on the bottom shelf.  That, in turn, means removing the
other oven rack, and then replacing it afterward.   Doing this is not a
big deal for me, but it may be a problem for others, particularly those
with various handicaps.  In addition, the weight of the La Cloche may be
a problem for some.

I do not share in the complaint about being able to bake but one loaf at
a time with the La Cloche.  With but two persons in our home now, I
prefer to bake small loaves more often so that the bread always is oven
fresh.  The added benefit is that the house more often is permeated with
a heavenly scent that cannot be duplicated by any commercial room air
freshener.

All in all, I agree with the contributor who said that bread baked the La
Cloche way rises higher.  It also yields a wonderful bread texture and a
delightful crust into which to sink one's teeth.

If the height of the La Cloche lid with handle is a problem, a little
smaller version without a handle is available from The Pampered Chef, in
addition to other stoneware products and cookbooks re their use (I just
ordered a couple of the cookbooks).  If you are unable to locate a
representative near you, contact The Pampered Chef, 350 South Route 53
(or 350 S. Rohlwing Road),  Addison, IL 60101-3079 to request a catalog.
You also may do so via www.pamperedchef.com   The customer service
department may be reached,  if calling in the United States, by dialing
(630) 261-8850.  If calling in Canada, dial (630) 261-8567.

As for me, I like having the handle on the lid because it then is easier
to remove.  Furthermore, not only is the La Cloche an excellent bread
baking tool, it has many other useful functions.  The lid maybe upended
and used as a bowl (the lid on the handle fits between a space of the
oven rack) when preparing soups, stews, and casseroles.  The bottom is
useful when baking pies, tortes, cinnamon rolls, buns,  or dinner rolls,
etc.   The entire La Cloche is great for baking all kinds of meats inside
it.  Vegetables, too, cook well inside the La Cloche, along with meats or
alone.

I like and use my La Cloche, and look forward to learning more about
cooking with it when the cookbooks I've ordered arrive.

Lynn Cragholm

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.