Banana Bread with Mando Curd

"Jazzbel" <jazzbel@grouper.batelnet.bs>
Mon, 17 Apr 2000 18:51:31 -0400
v100.n036.5
@@@@@
BANANA BREAD WITH MANGO CURD

  A taste of the tropics that's the ultimate in luxury for brunch or tea.
4 cups all-purpose flour
11/3 cups packed brown sugar
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt-
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
2 cups mashed ripe banana (about 4 medium)
l1/4 cups cooking oil
  4 eggs
2/3 cup chopped toasted macadamia nuts or walnuts
1 recipe Streusel Topping
  1 recipe Mango Curd
In a large mixing bowl combine 11/2 cups of the flour, brown sugar, baking
powder, baking soda, salt, and cloves. Add banana and oil. Beat with an
electric mixer on low speed till blended, then on high speed for 2 minutes.
Add eggs; beat till blended. Stir in remaining flour and nuts.
Pour batter into 2 greased 8x4x2-inch or 9x5x3-inch loaf pans. Sprinkle
with Streusel Topping. Bake in a 350F oven for 60 to 65 minutes or till a
toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pans on a
wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pans; cool completely. Wrap and store
overnight at room temperature before slicing. Serve with Mango Curd. Makes
2 loaves (16 slices per loaf).
Streusel Topping: In a small mixing bowl combine 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
and 1/4 cup all-purpose flour.
With a pastry blender or 2 forks, cut in 2 tablespoons margarine or butter
till mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in 2/3 cup chopped toasted
macadamia nuts or toasted walnuts.
.
Mango Curd: In a large saucepan stir together 3/4 cup sugar and 2
tablespoons cornstarch. Stir in 1 cup pureed mango, 1/4 cup margarine or
butter, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, and 1 tablespoon finely shredded  orange
peel. Cook and stir over medium heat till thickened and bubbly. Slowly stir
about half of the mixture into 6 beaten egg yolks. Then return all of the
egg yolk mixture to the saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil. Cook, and stir
for 2 minutes more. Cover surface with plastic wrap and chill till serving
time. Makes 2 cups.
.
Later, Jazzbel

  Some friend have a habit of wearing these big time shirt.
The other night a fella come and tell me "I wearing a $25 custom-made
shirt".
I look at him and laugh 'cause I remember when all of we used
to "Thank God for Robin Hood Flour".  That's right, Flour Bag...
--Ronnie butler "Goin' down Burma Road".