Pizza recipe for Carolyn

"Leigh Davisson" <leighd@attglobal.net>
Sat, 13 May 2000 15:50:17 -0700
v100.n042.6
:To Carolyn;
:
:Our absolute favorite pizza recipe is from Lora Brody's "Pizza, Focaccia,
:Flat, and Filled Breads".  My kids love it (although they're young and
:usually like it better with just cheese or with traditional tomato sauce
and
:cheese).  When I make it for friends they always ask for the recipe.
Lora's
:recipe has all white flour; I make it with half white bread machine flour
:and half white wheat flour.
:

Salsa Pizza with Black Bean Crust

For the Dough

1 Tablespoon yeast
1/2  cup yellow cornmeal
1 1/2 c all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 cup (10 oz) refried black beans  (can be made from scratch, come from a
can or be reconstituted from a mix)
1 extra large egg
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 Tablespoon honey or molasses
2/3 cup water

Place all the ingredients in the machine, program for Dough or Manual, and
press Start.  The dough will be quite moist but should form a discrete ball.
At the end of the final cycle, punch down the dough and place it on a
lightly floured work surface to rest for five minutes.

If you do not have a bread machine, mix all ingredients by hand, and stir or
knead until it forms a smooth ball.  You will need to oil the surface where
you knead the dough, and knead for at least 10 minutes.  Try not to add more
flour than listed above; dough will be moist.  Let rise in an oiled bowl
for 1-2 hours.  Punch down the dough, and let rest for five minutes.

To Finish the Pizza

2 cups chunky salsa
1 cup shredded Cheddar, Monterey Jack, and/or Mozzarella Cheese

Preheat over to 475F.  On a lightly floured work surface, roll the
dough out to either a 17 x 11 inch rectangle, or a 14"  round.  If you have
a jelly roll pan that has slightly different dimensions, roll the dough to
fit it.  Lightly oil (or use Pam) the pan and place the dough into the pan,
stretching it with your hands so that it covers the surface up to the edges,

Spread the dough with the salsa, leaving a 1 inch border, and sprinkle with
the cheese.  Place the pizza in a warm place to rise for 30 minutes, then
bake it for 17 to 20 minutes, or until the crust is deep brown and the
cheese is bubbling.  Serve hot.