Using Trash Bags when rising Dough

FRANWAG@aol.com
Fri, 26 May 2000 10:16:41 EDT
v100.n045.8
Hi everyone,

Peter Reinhart gave a wonderful description of how to retard pizza dough
overnight in the refrigerator....  in a plastic trash bag.

Please be aware that a good many of these bags are meant for garbage/refuse
and are not food safe - in fact they may contain insecticide - or other
non-desired chemicals and alas, there is no warning on the bag.  I am not
sure I want to rise my dough in one of those bags.

There are food-safe plastic bags used by supermarkets - however, I am not
sure which member of the supermarket staff would be able to advise you if
their stock fits the -safe- category.  My guess is that the bags used for
holding produce should be okay- but again I am not positive.

For the time being I am using a Freezer Bag made by ZipLoc -

Do any of you know of other bags that are okay for food usage?

Fran in NYC