Crust

FMTZ@aol.com
Sat, 10 Jun 2000 20:21:12 EDT
v100.n047.8
Hello All:

I've enjoyed 'lurking' and trying out many of your excellent recipes. If you
can help me with a little 'problem' i have I would surely appreciate it.

I bake the bread in our house 2 or 3 times a week: semolina bread, ficelles,
whole wheat bread, Ciabatta, etc.

Recently, I have been baking sourdough rye (tastes like NY deli rye or
'Jewish Rye'.) It tastes delicious and cuts well and even stays moist and
fresh for quite a while.   BUT

The crust doesn't have that nice dark brown look that real Jewish rye has. I
know that I could put something into the dough to darken all the dough but
that's not what I want. What I would like is a nice clear color rye with a
dark brown almost crispy crust!

Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance for your help!

FrankM