Shaping loaves

Haacknjack@aol.com
Sat, 24 Jun 2000 16:57:29 EDT
v100.n049.10
For David King:

David, first and foremost always work with the loosest (slackest, wettest)
dough that you can handle.  It shouldn't just drain off of the butcher
block, of course, but the less flour you work in the better the bread comes
out. And, it will be more willing to adhere to itself when you shape it.

I roll my loaves out with a rolling pin, and then roll 'em up from one
short side.  I pinch the dough together (part from the rolled portion, part
from what's still flat) every 3/4 of a roll, or so.

If I'm suspicious that it isn't connecting, I brush the top side (which
will be inside in the end) with a little water or milk (matching what's
already in the dough).  This produces a bit of stickiness which helps keep
it all together.

Don't let the bread over-rise before tucking it into the nicely-preheated
oven.  The loaf will experience a dramatic rise called "oven spring" as the
yeasties work frantically in the warmer temperature for a little while.  If
your loaf is fully-risen before hitting the oven temperature, that too can
force the last couple of turns apart.

And always remember, even if the aesthetics aren't perfect, there's NOTHING
like fresh bread ANYWAY.  Have fun!