Measuring

John and Saundra Murren <jmurren@harborside.com>
Sat, 29 Jul 2000 04:34:30 -0700
v100.n054.10
On July 24th, Jessica Weisman writes:

>Lots of the large liquid measures I've seen are off by a good bit.  And are
>you sighting the measurement at eye level, and using the bottom of the
>meniscus (dip in the surface) as your mark?  In a wide measure the
>difference between the top of the meniscus (sighting against the side of
>the cup) and the bottom could be significant.

Say what?  I suspect the nature of this message will invite still more
calls for a total chemical and physical analysis of all ingredients prior
to each baking episode.  I will always remember my grandmother's
instruction, "You just add the flour til it feels right."  And if I ever
become as good a baker as she, I'll be damned lucky.  jm

"Self-respect: the secure feeling
that no one, as yet, is suspicious."
H.L. Menken