Bread Basket Replacements

Maggie Glezer <glezer@mindspring.com>
Sun, 27 Aug 2000 12:40:12 -0400
v100.n059.13
 > From: Susan Newman <Susie22@mindspring.com>
 > Subject: Round loaves
 > Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 20:58:49 -0400

 > I am dying to make nice round, fat loaves of bread but don't want to pop
 > for KA's expensive coiled baskets.  Any suggestions on what I can use
 > rather than just forming the loaf and having it spread out while rising?
 > I've never tried anything like a greased mixing bowl, but somehow feel that
 > just wouldn't work.
 >
 > I would love any ideas...along with a nice, crusty bread recipe!
 >
 > Susie in Atlanta

Hi Susie,

I have two good suggestions for you.  The simplest solution is to use an
ordinary kitchen colander, and line it with a tea towel (the flat woven
kind, without loops).  This toweling is not non-stick, unlike the raw linen
used to line the imported baskets, but Peter Reinhart has suggested
spraying the toweling lightly with a release spray first to make them
non-stick, and then sifting flour into them (if you want a floured crust).
The holes in the colander will help with moisture build up from the
proofing bread.

Kathleen Weber, an artisan baker in Petaluma, California, uses chip baskets,
the woven plastic type used for chips at Mexican restaurants, available at
restaurant supply houses, for proofing her breads.  These are very
inexpensive, and she claims that they work even better than the imported
banneton.

Maggie Glezer (also from Atlanta!)