proofing containers

Andie Paysinger <asenji@earthlink.net>
Sat, 02 Sep 2000 12:49:42 -0700
v100.n060.11
This takes me back,  way back!! I grew up on a farm in the 1940s and we
made just about everything ourselves. Instead of waxed paper  for wrapping
things  to retain moisture, we "made" waxed muslin.

Unbleached muslin was boiled and stretched on curtain stretchers to
dry.  Then my cousins and I were handed a chunk of beeswax and told to rub
it into the muslin which was then cut into squares and lightly ironed to
melt the beeswax into the cloth.

On bread-baking days the dough was first proofed in a big dough trough and
then separated into portions which were rolled loosely into one of these
"oiled" cloths which was then dropped into one of a row of baskets which
hung on the brick wall near the stoves (and fireplace - this was a very,
very old house).  Naturally the ones nearest the heat rose faster and were
rolled out onto an oven board (peel) and slid into the oven, usually 2 at a
time.  Sometimes cook would take a small chunk of dough and just stick it
to the wall of the oven near the top where it would puff up and bake a lot
faster than the loaves on the floor of the oven. (These were treats for
those of us who were always underfoot in the kitchen)  When the loaves came
out of the oven they were cooled on an iron rack and then wrapped in a
fresh piece of the waxed muslin and tied with twine.

Nowadays it is easier to just use a piece of plastic wrap, but you would be
surprised at how well that "old-fashioned" material worked to keep bread
fresh. It was also used to wrap cheese, both soft and cured. moisture did
not condense inside these wraps as it does with plastic.

We also made our own waxed canvas for  rain coverings for the farm wagons,
however this was made with paraffin and was spread onto the canvas with a
trowel.

--
Andie Paysinger & the PENDRAGON Basenjis,Teafer,Cheesy,Singer & Player
asenji@earthlink.net    So. Calif. USA   "In the face of adversity, be