No need to knead?

"Shauna S. Roberts" <ShaunaRoberts@nasw.org>
Wed, 4 Oct 2000 11:09:24 -0500
v100.n066.10
<x-flowed>
Pat Schuster asked what experiences people have had with the book No
Need to Knead, in particular, whether others have experienced
problems with the taste and texture changing after the first day.

I have tried some recipes from this book, and the bread has not
suffered any taste or texture changes.

However, the problem I've been having is trying to figure out how to
implement the instructions to cut the dough or shape the dough. The
drawings show the dough as a somewhat solid mass that can be sliced
or pushed into a shape. But the dough I get if I add the amount of
water called for is closer to a thick pea soup.

I've tried adding a lot more flour until the dough approaches the
consistency shown in the pictures (being in New Orleans, I generally
need to add more flour than bread recipes call for to compensate for
the moisture the flour absorbs from the humid air), but then the
dough gets too stiff to stir by hand.

Can someone who's had success with this book give me some pointers on
dealing with the sticky, soupy dough? Thanks.
--
Shauna S. Roberts
http://www.nasw.org/users/ShaunaRoberts/

</x-flowed>