Wild Rice and Onion Bread

"Jennifer Sommerville" <cuttle@bellatlantic.net>
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 22:26:35 -0400
v100.n068.12
On another list, someone was talking about buying this bread, and it
sounded wonderful!  Does anyone have a recipe?

I've made my first loaf for the fall season (I do very little bread baking
during the summer) and it's so nice to smell fresh bread again.  We love
this recipe!  It came from family circle and is wonderful!

* Exported from MasterCook *

                           Split-Top Butter Loaf

Recipe By     :
Categories    :

   1                tsp  sugar
      3/4             c  warm water -- 105 to 115 degrees F
   1                env  active dry yeast
   1 1/2              c  buttermilk
   1                     egg
   1               tbsp  salt
      1/4             c  honey
   3              tbsps  butter -- in pieces
   6                  c  bread flour
                         Topping:
   2              tbsps  butter -- melted

Stir sugar into warm water in small cup.  Sprinkle yeast over top.  Let
stand until foamy 5 to 10 minutes.

Heat buttermilk, egg, salt, honey and butter in saucepan until butter melts
and mixture registers 110 degrees F to 120 degrees F on instant-read
thermometer.  Transfer to a large bowl.

Add 2 cups bread flour; beat until smooth.  Stir in yeast mixture.  Add
remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time until dough holds together and pulls away
from the sides of the bowl.

Transfer dough to lightly floured surface.  Knead until smooth and elastic,
8 to 10 minutes.  Transfer to large greased bowl, turning to coat.  Cover
with clean kitchen towel or plastic wrap.  Let rise in warm place until
doubled in volume, about 1 hour.

Punch dough down.  Let rest for 5 minues.  Grease two 9 1/4 x 5 1/4 x 2
3/4-inch loaf pans.  Divide dough in half; lightly coat halves with flour.
Gently pat each half into 7 x 5 inch rectangle.  Transfer to the 2 prepared
loaf pans.  Cover with clean kitchen towel.  Let rise in warm place until
doubled in volume, about 1 1/4 hours.

Heat oven to 350 degrees.  With a razor blade or very sharp knife, make a
slash down length of each loaf.

Bake in 350 degree oven for 15 minutes.  Open oven; pull rack with breads
out slightly.  Brush loaves with some of the melted butter.  Bake another 15
minutes.  Brush again with butter.  Bake another 5 minutes or until loaves
sound hollow when tapped.  Remove loaves from pans to wire to cool.

   "Makes 2 loaves (12 slices each) at $1.42 each loaf."
Source:
   "Family Circle 2/1/00"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 166 Calories; 3g Fat (18.0% calories
from fat); 5g Protein; 29g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 15mg
Cholesterol; 310mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0
Non-Fat Milk; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

"More people will die from hit-or-miss eating than from hit-and-run
driving." - Duncan Hines