Monti's Roman Bread

TheGuamTarheels@webtv.net (The Ol' Tarheel)
Sat, 18 Nov 2000 12:40:21 -0500 (EST)
v100.n074.9
My wife and I are getting together with children and grandchildren at my
eldest son's home for Thanksgiving and I have been "instructed" to bring
the bread.  My eldest daughter said, "Make it Monti's Roman bread, dad."
This is my adaptation of a recipe that I found some years ago.  It came
from Monti's La Casa Vieja in Tempe, Arizona.  The owner, Leonard Monti,
said his parents brought this recipe from Italy nearly 60 years ago.
So, here it is; my Thanksgiving gift to all of you...

MONTI'S ROMAN BREAD (with adaptations by the Tarheel Baker)

2 cups all-purpose unbleached flour
2 cups bread flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon instant yeast
pinch ascorbic acid (optional)
1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
2 teaspoons sea salt
2 tablespoons dried rosemary
1-1/2 cups warm water

Combine flours, sugar, yeast, ascorbic acid, onion, sea salt, and
rosemary, and mix thoroughly.  Stir in water with a wooden spoon.  Turn
out on a lightly floured work surface and knead until smooth (about ten
minutes).  Place dough in an oiled (olive oil, please) bowl, cover, and
let rise until doubled, about one hour.
Turn out on a lightly floured work surface, knead lightly, and form into
a boule.  Place dough on a lightly oiled (olive oil, please) baking
sheet and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.  Preheat oven (with
a baking stone inside if you have one) to 400F.
Spray top of loaf with lightly with water and sprinkle with coarse salt
and more dried rosemary.
Bake until the top is lightly browned and the internal temperature
(taken with an instant thermometer) reaches 190F, about 20 to 25
minutes.
Let cool on a rack at least 45 minutes before slicing (if you can).

Happy Thanksgiving, y'all.