Dot's Beer Bread

"Ellen C." <ellencr@mindspring.com>
Tue, 21 Nov 2000 13:36:11 -0500
v100.n075.4
Jessica Biscuit's email newsletter featured At Grandmother's Table, a new
book of old family recipes. I thought this bread sounded great. I could
have used this last night when I wanted a last minute bread. Next time...

Ellen

           *  Exported from  MasterCook Mac  *

                              Dot's Beer Bread

Recipe By     : At Grandmother's Table
Categories    : Breads: Quick & Muffins          Whole Grain & Cereal Breads
                  Yeast Free

       1/2  cup           raw sunflower seeds -- (optional)
                          - or cooked rye grain
                          - or cooked oatmeal
     2 1/2  cups          all-purpose flour
     2 1/2  teaspoons     baking powder
       1/2  teaspoon      baking soda
       1/2  teaspoon      salt
       1/2  cup           whole wheat flour
       1/2  cup           soy flour
       1/4  cup           sugar
       1/4  cup           molasses
     1      can           beer -- (12-ounce)

"To dry ingredients, you may add 1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds, or 1/2
cup cooked rye, or 1/2 cup cooked oatmeal, or anything else that
won't absorb much liquid. Mix all ingredients well (I usually mix the
dry ones first). Put into greased loaf pan. Bake about an hour at
400. Test for doneness with wooden toothpick - it often looks done
when it isn't. You can play with this recipe, so long as you keep the
2 1/2 cups of flour (and the baking powder and soda) and the beer
constant. If you want it less sweet, cut down on the sugar. The
smaller portions of flour may be varied as you wish: 1 cup soy, no
whole wheat; all whole wheat; or rye can be put in instead. Standard
loaf pan is OK. If you can find a smaller one, you'll get a little
better shaped loaf, but the quality of the bread is the same. If you
want to wait, I'll bring you an extra loaf pan at Thanksgiving."

At Grandmother's Table: Women Write about Food, Life, and the Enduring
Bond Between Grandmothers and Granddaughters Edited by Ellen Perry Berkeley
(Fairview Press: 2000)

                     - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving: 2498 Calories; 49g Fat (18% calories from fat); 72g
Protein; 433g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 2668mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 20 Starch/Bread; 3 1/2 Lean Meat; 3 1/2 Fruit; 7 Fat;
7 Other Carbohydrates

NOTES : More than food, my grandmother (Dortha Juanita Gans Thomas
1907-1988) craved the conversation and sense of connection that came
with company. She had little patience for cooking, and little
confidence in her abilities in the kitchen. The easier a dish was to
cook, the better: It was more likely to turn out well, and she was
able to move more quickly into the living room where the others were
sitting and talking. Dot's beer bread is healthful and easy, a
favorite recipe by all accounts. And a family story tells how Dot - A
Church of the Brethren teetotaler - endured embarrassment each time
she purchased the necessary beer.

The recipe is printed just as it appears on the blue recipe card my
grandmother gave to my aunt.

Nutr. Assoc. : 1452 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
_____