Gas convection oven options

SloSherri@aol.com
Sun, 26 Nov 2000 09:44:41 EST
v100.n076.18
In a message dated 11/25/2000 5:03:16 PM Central Standard Time:

<< Any advice on the purchase of a new stove- oven
  would be appreciated.  I know I want it to be gas,have at least one "extra
  strength" burner, and be 30" wide (can't fit in anything wider.)  I will also
  probably have to buy a new fan for over the stove if anybody has advice on
  that. >>

Ann,

I bought a Viking gas range last March, and am delighted with it.  I got a
small one, 30", and it has VERY hot burners (I believe two of the burners get
up to 15,000 BTUs, but I'm not at home, so I can't veryify this off the
Viking literature).  The broiler gets up to 1500 degrees and is incredibly
hot.  The range top is NOT sealed, as is the case with the Kitchen Aide and
Dacor models, but there is a marvelous stainless steel drawer that slides out
so that you can easily clean up anything that drops through.

One of the things I like best about the Viking is that it doesn't have a lot
of electronic gadgets on it (not even a clock).  I view those
programmable-type keypads with suspicion, as they appear to me to just be one
more thing that can fail.  Besides, how much effort does it take to turn on a
burner or the oven, LOL?  The only "gadget" the 30" Viking has is the
convection option.  I've tried it a few times, but I'm not positive how to
adjust the temp/time, so I've had mixed results (not the oven's fault,
believe me).  I think by dropping the temp about 25 degrees and knocking the
baking time back a "little", it appears to work well.  I would be happier if
I could determine the exact amount to reduce the temperature so that the time
remains constant.  I am visiting friends in Mississippi, but as soon as I get
home on Monday, I plan to start a marathon Christmas-baking session (took
next week off too), which will include lots of cookies, biscotti, fruitcakes,
dog biscuits, and bread (all given as gifts).  I will try hard to get the
convection option figured out, and if I can, I'll post to the list about my
research.

In the meantime, do yourself a favor and at least consider a Viking.  It is a
wonderful range, and I could not be happier with it.  OH, one more thing, if
you have birds (as I do), you will know that birds can die from exposure to
teflon and non-stick coating fumes.  I researched the Viking, and there is no
plastic or teflon on it anywhere.  That sucker is heavy, well-built, and will
probably stand long after my house falls down around me.  Other than an
initial burn-off of oil in the oven (which smelled terrible and took about 4
hours while the birds hung out on the patio), there is no problem at all with
fumes.

I hope this was some help, and happy baking!

Sherri