Cinnamon Chip Loaf -- Mixer Method

"Joni Repasch" <jrepasch@infi.net>
Fri, 1 Dec 2000 15:23:47 -0800
v100.n076.20
Joan <NorthStarKennels@aol.com> submitted a wonderful recipe a few weeks
ago for Cinnamon Chip Loaf. Just made it myself (the smaller of the two
loaves)  and it is wonderful. In case some of you don't have a bread machine
don't despair, you can make it by hand or as I did in my KA mixer. King
Author Flours sells the cinnamon chips and also cappuccino chips. Next I'll
try this recipe using the latter chips with a tablespoon of espresso power
or cappuccino mix.

Here are the ingredients I used and the method:

  CINNAMON CHIP LOAF

For 1 1/2 -Pound Loaf

1 cup less 1 tablespoon water [I needed only 3/4 cup]
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 egg
2 tablespoons butter or margarine [softened]
2 tablespoons non-instant dried milk
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/4 teaspoons salt [measured & set aside]
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons sugar [3 next time]
2 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast*
3 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose  Flour [12 ozs + 1-2 ozs extra]
3/4 cup cinnamon chips**

In a medium bowl mix 2 cups of flour, the yeast, dried milk, sugar,
cinnamon, and baking powder. Pour these dry ingredients into the electric
mixer bowl. Insert paddle attachment and mix on low speed until well
incorporated. Add in the vanilla, egg, and butter. Slowly pour in the water.
Start with 3/4 cup. Mix on low speed until you have a nice batter. Turn off
machine and allow the mixture to "work" for about 20 minutes.*** Switch to
the dough hook and add in the salt and a little more flour. Knead for 3
minutes. Shut off machine for 2 minutes then knead again for another 3
minutes, adding more flour if dough is too slack. (On the other hand, if
dough is way too dry add a tad more water, a tablespoon at a time). Shut
machine off and rest the dough another 2 minutes. Knead again for 3-4
minutes, now adding in the cinnamon chips a little at a time until all are
incorporated. Stop machine, remove dough and place on a greased work table.
Knead the dough just enough to insure that chips are well distributed. Place
dough in a greased bowl, cover and allow to rise (about an hour or so).
Knock down the dough and allow it to rest 10 minutes. Shape and place in a
well greased 8 x 4 x 3 loaf pan. Cover and allow to proof (30-45) minutes.
Dough should rise a scant inch over rim of pan.

Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350F.

Options before baking: Slash top with a cross before placing into oven. You
might also glaze the top with a mixture of 1 small egg, lightly beaten with
2 tablespoons water. This will give the bread a beautiful golden shine.

Bake the bread for about 50 minutes, tenting after 40 minutes if it becomes
too brown.

Should you not use the egg/water mixture before baking, brush the baked loaf
with softened butter when you remove it from the oven.

Remove bread from pan and allow to cool slightly on a wire rack, if you can
wait that long....It's good warm slathered with butter and I bet delicious
lightly toasted.

*I used KA's Fermipan Brown Instant Yeast KA 1125 1 lb $4.50
** KA 1604 1 lb 3.95
***I always rest my dough for 15-20 minutes. This isn't crucial, it's just
the way I learned.

Below is the ingredients for a 2 lb loaf. Place the dough in 5 x 9 x 3.

Thank you Joan for sharing this wonderful recipe with the group.

For 2-Pound Loaf
1 cup water
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 egg
3 tablespoons butter or margarine
3 tablespoons Baker's Special Dry Milk or  nonfat dried milk
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon instant yeast
4 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose  Flour
1 cup cinnamon chips

Source: King Arthur Flours Web Site