Whole Wheat Pizza Dough

"Greg and Heather Reseck" <greseck@rcia.com>
Sun, 3 Dec 2000 11:38:14 -0800
v100.n077.14
Here's my favorite whole wheat pizza dough that I've developed for a
forthcoming cookbook emphazing delicious, nutritious, and expeditious
vegetarian cooking. If you have any suggestions for improvement, I'd love to
hear them.

Heather Reseck, R.D.
Carnation, WA

Whole Wheat Pizza Dough
Use this whole wheat dough for calzones and braided breads, too.
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Bread Machine Time: 1 1/2-2 hours
Makes: 2 1/4 pounds dough; 2 (14-inch) thin-crust pizzas

1 1/2 cups + 2 tablespoons warm water (13 oz.)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 cups + 2 tablespoons whole wheat bread flour
2 cups unbleached bread flour
2 tablespoons vital wheat gluten
1 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast or 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast

Place ingredients in bread machine in order recommended by manufacturer.
Select dough cycle and press start. Check dough after 5 minutes of kneading,
and adjust water or flour as necessary to achieve a soft ball. When dough
cycle is completed, follow recipe for Whole Wheat Pizza.

Nutrition Facts per serving (1/16): 130 cal;. 2.5 gm total fat (0 gm sat.
fat), 0 mg. chol., 220 mg sodium, 24 gm carbo., 2 gm fiber, 1gm sugars, 4 gm
pro. Daily Values: 0% vit. A, 0% vit. C, 0% calcium, 8% iron. Diabetic
Exchanges: 1½ breads

Hand-Kneaded Method: Stir ingredients together in a mixing bowl. Knead on a
lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 7-10 minutes, adding
as little flour as possible. (Coat hands with cooking spray to prevent
sticking.) Preheat oven to 200F degrees and turn off. Place dough in large
heat-proof bowl, and cover with a damp towel. Place bowl with dough in warm
oven until dough has doubled (about 1 hour, or 1 1/2 to 2 hours at room
temperature).

Standing Mixer Method: Combine ingredients in the bowl of standing mixer.
Knead on low speed with a dough hook about 5-7 minutes or until elastic.
Follow remainder of hand-kneaded directions.

Herbed Pizza Dough: Add 1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning Mix or 1 teaspoon
dried chives, 1 teaspoon basil leaves, and 1 teaspoon oregano leaves.

Pizza Dough Mix: Store dry ingredients except for yeast in a resealable bag
at room temperature up to 1 month, or refrigerate or freeze up to 3 months.