Barley flour

Nifcon@aol.com
Sun, 10 Dec 2000 09:02:08 EST
v100.n078.9
Suzie

I have used barley flour in bread, mixed with white bread flour. I found that
it gave a delicious earthy flavour but the volume of the bread was lower and
I found that 1 part in 8 of barley flour mixed with white flour gave a good
flavour and did not reduce the volume very much (approx 10% less volume). I
also found that the dough made with barley flour was more susceptible to over
proofing and had 1 VERY flat loaf as a result so keep your eye on proving
loaves.

I've also had good results substituting barley flour for rye or oats in
multigrain breads.

John Wright

Yorkshire, England