Cranberry Bread

"Virginia" <vmill@alltel.net>
Sat, 16 Dec 2000 08:51:07 -0500
v100.n079.8
Marsha requested a Cranberry Bread without orange.  Here's my standby, from
James Beard's Beard on Bread.  I make both the orange and non-orange versions.
Happy Holidays, everyone!

Quick Cranberry Bread

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp double-acting baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup melted butter
1 1/4 cups milk mixed with 1 tsp rosewater
1 1/4 cups raw cranberries, roughly chopped
3/4 cup walnuts or pecans

Preheat oven to 350F.  Mix the dry ingredients together.  Mix by hand or
with a beater the eggs and sugar until well blended.  Stir in the melted
butter and the milk/rosewater.  Stir in the flour mixture just until
moistened, and then fold in the cranberries and nuts.  Do not overwork or
beat the dough.  Butter a loaf tin about 10 inches long and 4-5 inches wide.
Bake 55-60 mins, or until the top springs back when touched lightly or a
cake tester comes out clean.  Let stand in the tin for a few minutes before
turning out onto a rack to cool.  When thoroughly cooled wrap in plastic or
foil and let sit half a day before cutting.

Cranberry Orange Bread:  Use 1/2 cup orange juice and 3/4 cup milk as the
liquid, and add with the cranberries 3 T grated orange rind.

Virginia
Scottish Crofters
Imports from Scotland
and Our Own Handmade Teddy Bears