Bread Baking Questions to the BBD

"Joni Repasch" <jrepasch@infi.net>
Sat, 3 Feb 2001 15:40:40 -0800
v101.n008.15
>From: "betty hodge" <bettyho65@home.com>
>Subject: Two new bread baker questions
>Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2001
>
>I have two questions as a new bread baker. l. What is "A-P" flour? and 2.
>What is meant by refreshing a sourdough starter? I really do enjoy this
>bread-bakers list. Everyone that posts is so helpful and so friendly. Feels
>like a family out there. Hoping you can answer these two question.....  Have
>a good day, Betty Hodge

Hi Betty,

You'll no doubt get lots of answers to your two questions re: bread baking.

1. a-p flour means all-purpose flour. All purpose flour is white flour that
is usually sold two ways:
    (1) all purpose unbleached -- good for most bread baking
    (2) all purpose bleached -- good for cookies (according to Cooks
Illustrated of some years ago.
Although you didn't ask, most bread bakers like to use what is called "bread
flour" for most of their bread baking because the protein content is higher.
If you can't find it in your local grocery, all-purpose unbleached flour is
okay

2. Refresh a sourdough starter. A sourdough starter needs to be "fed every
so often.....at the least every two weeks........and must be fed the day
before preparing a batch of sourdough bread.

The starter itself is usually kept in the refrigerator between use. The day
before you want to make a loaf of bread, remove the starter from the
refrigerator and allow it to come to room temp. Remove, say, 1 1/2 cups of
starter from the jar, place it in a non-metallic bowl, add 1 1/2 cups white
flour (unbleached all-purpose) and about 1 cup 85 degree water.....best to
use filtered or spring water. Mix this all together very well. Cover with
plastic wrap and place the mixture in a warm place to "refresh" overnight. I
place my "hungry" starter in my electric oven with the light turned on.
Ideal temp is about 85-90 degrees. Don't allow starter to be exposed to a
higher heat source, it may kill it.

Return the remaining starter not used back into the refrigerator.

Next morning remove amount of starter called for in the recipe (usually 1
cup) and pour the remaining "refreshed" starter  back into the starter that
you keep in refrigerator.

Don't get too confused if you get other messages suggesting you treat your
starter differently from the way I have suggested. Everyone has his favorite
way of "caring" for his starter.............it's sort of like a pet, you
know :)

So glad you like our BBD list. I, too, think it's a great way to learn about
breads and such.

Happy baking