ingredients and kneading surface

apschuster <apschuster@bluecrab.org>
Sun, 04 Mar 2001 18:23:22 -0500
v101.n012.22
Hi all,

I have two questions about ingredients.

1. Does anyone know what is the desired effect of adding just egg white to
bread? I just made some bread which called for one egg white, lightly
beaten. This is the first time I have added egg to any bread except
brioche. At first I thought the goal might be to make the bread fluffier.
Now that my bread is cooling I see that the crust is much softer than my
usual loaves. Can anyone comment? Thanks.

2. A friend asked me a question which I can't answer:  Why do some bread
recipes call for non-fat, dry milk? Why wouldn't one just use skim milk
instead?

Also, someone on the bread-bakers list asked a questions about kneading
surfaces. I don't know now who it was -- I just have read the last three
digests all at once!

I knead my bread on my kitchen counter, which is just ordinary -- what are
they made of ? -- formica ?  The bread sticks a little when I'm starting
off, so I do use my scraper to scoop it up and fold it over. Another thing
you can do is Very, very lightly oil the surface, just barely.
Pat