Afghan Bread...

TheGuamTarheels@webtv.net (The Ol' Tarheel)
Thu, 15 Mar 2001 18:26:44 -0500 (EST)
v101.n014.14
My wife lived in Afghanistan in the mid-60s.  Consequently, we like much
Afghan food.  Here is a great bread recipe:

NAN
(Afghan Bread)

Hot Water
Active Dry Yeast
Sugar
Whole Wheat flour
White flour
Salt
Sesame seeds

Preheat oven to 500F. In a large warm bowl, put one-half cup of hot water,
one quarter ounce dry active yeast and one teaspoon of sugar. After this is
dissolved, stir in three-quarters of a cup of warm water. Next, add 1 cup
of whole wheat flour and 2 cups of white flour, one cup at a time. Then add
salt. When the mix becomes thick enough, use your hands to continue mixing.

Remove the dough from the bowl, and continue to kneed on a floured surface
until the dough is smooth. (You may add small amounts of flour to prevent
the dough from sticking to your hands) Put the dough in a greased bowl and
cover with plastic wrap. Then, set it in a warm place to rise for an hour.

Spray two large cooking sheets with cooking spray and spread one-half of
the dough on each cookie sheet in the shape of a large narrow oval. (The
dough should be about one-third of an inch thick.) Dip your hands in cold
water, spread your fingers, and drag them through the dough making deep
grooves. Sprinkle sesame seeds over the top. Put the bread in the oven for
about 10 minutes or until it is a medium golden brown. ENJOY!!!

Bob the Tarheel Baker