RE: Hot Cross Buns WAS need a recipe

"Russell J. Fletcher" <gimplimp@effectnet.com>
Mon, 19 Mar 2001 12:02:00 -0800
v101.n017.1
What I usually do when I need a recipe is try the archives first.
The main page is at http://www.bread-bakers.com/ and
there is a search function.

Since you have Juno, you may only have e-mail and not full
web access, so I am taking the liberty of reposting some items
that were in the archives.  (Hint Hint Reggie, you don't have to add
these to the archives they are already there).

I haven't tried any of these yet, but I may this year.

From: "Gordon" <gordon@mpsnet.com.mx>
Subject: Hot Cross Buns
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 19:54:43 -0600

Its almost Easter.  Here is my recipe for Hot Cross Buns via the ABM.  One
cravat the more fruit you put into this the less they rise.  So if you want
big fluffy buns easy on the fruit.  Lots of fruit gives you a very good but
very dense bun.

Hot Cross Buns

1 pkg	Active dry yeast
3 cups 	Bread flour
1/4 cup	Sugar
3/4 tea	Salt
1/2 cup	warm milk
1/2 cup 	warm water
2 heaping	Tablespoons of lard or butter
1 	Egg yolk (reserve the white)
1 Tbl	Cinnamon
1 tea	Nutmeg
1 cup 	Candied fruit.

Dump everything except the fruit into the machine.  Select Manual or dough
setting and press go.  Add the fruit about 10 or 15 minutes later or it
will disappear.

When the dough is ready.  Pat out into a 12x9 rectangle and then break off
into 12 pieces the size of a small orange.  You should have 12 little
balls, place into the greased 13x9 pan cover and let rise in a warm place
until double in volume (about 45 min)

Take the reserved egg white and add 1 tea of water and mix well.  Brush the
rolls and put into the oven and bake at 375, for 20-25 minutes until light
golden brown color.

Take what's left of the egg white/water mixture and add ½ tea of Vanilla and
some confectioners sugar till its thick.  Place in a small plastic bag and
make your white crosses on the buns (after they have cooled)

Gordon
Acapulco

++++++++