Cleaning coffee grinder

Andie Paysinger <asenji@earthlink.net>
Mon, 07 May 2001 18:44:25 -0700
v101.n025.11
Here is a simple and effective way to clean a coffee/spice/seed grinder
between batches of different items.  It may sound like it is too easy, but
it really works.  I use my grinder to make citrus peel "zest" and this
removes the citrus oil, will remove coffee oils so you will not have
crossover flavors.

In your grinder place 2 or 3 tablespoons of plain old baking soda
(bicarbonate of soda) add 2 or 3 saltine crackers broken in pieces.
(depending on the size of the grinder) I have the large and use 4 saltines.

replace the lid and whiz the stuff around for 15 seconds or so, shaking the
grinder so all parts get exposed to the material.

Dump the stuff out and wipe with a dry paper towel. To test, drop in a
couple of pieces of stale bread, whiz for a couple of seconds and taste.

If you have an old grinder with a build up of "gunk", substitute 2
tablespoons of white rice for the crackers. whiz the rice and baking soda
around for 15 seconds, check, and if it is still gunky, run it for another
10 to 15 seconds. This will really clean the grinder but if you do this too
often the rice will dull the blades.

--
Andie Paysinger & the PENDRAGON
Basenjis,Teafer,Cheesy,Singer & Player