"diet" bread

LDavis47@aol.com
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 10:41:00 EDT
v101.n030.2
"Diet" bread is a confusing term. All mainly carbohydrate foods, no matter if
it is granulated sugar, potato, rice or flour from wheat, have the same
number of calories per weight. A teaspoon of sugar has about 20 cal and adds
a small amount to the total calories per serving when compared to the
calories from flour. On the other hand if you want to use complex
carbohydrates instead of simple sugars because of a dietary need, then you
can substitute potato or rice flour for the granulated sugar. I have used the
potato flour from KA in many wheat and country breads successfully. The bread
may rise a little more slowly. I only use one teaspoon. When I use a
tablespoon, the bread tastes like a potato knish.

L.Davis