Gas range

ARanish@aol.com
Wed, 13 Jun 2001 18:39:13 EDT
v101.n030.4
About 6 months ago, I wrote to the list for advice on buying a new range.  I
knew I wanted gas burners but otherwise I was unsure what to purchase.  I
received several helpful replies from subscribers to the list.  I was very
tempted by the rave reviews of Viking and Wolf ranges and ovens but decided
their cost was beyond my budget.  I ended up buying a GE self-cleaning gas
range, model number JGBP90.  It was recommended by Consumer Reports who
included it in a list of upscale domestic ranges.  (Viking, Wolf,etc were
included among their list of restaurant-style ranges.)

It includes two extra high BTU burners, one "medium" burner and one simmer
burner.  Actually, I find all the burners hold a low simmer very well,
something my previous gas stoves failed to do.  I've had excellent results
baking bread in the oven.  I suspect it holds a high temperature better than
my previous oven; I get more rise in the initial minutes of baking bread or
pizza at 500 degrees F. than I used to in my old oven.  The range came with
an electric warming drawer which I thought unnecessary but which I have
actually used quite often.  The one part I don't like is the broiler which is
too wimpy.  I much prefer the results from my outdoor gas grill.  But the
broiler is OK for browning the top of a casserole, etc.  Based on my 6 months
experience with it, I would certainly buy this range again. Its cost was a
little over $1000.  Thanks for all your helpful advice and interest when I
was pondering what to buy.  I hope my experience is useful to someone else on
the list.

Ann Ranish