Bread in the BBQ

Paul and Ruth Provance <prmtprovance@erols.com>
Sat, 21 Jul 2001 09:19:06 -0400
v101.n037.1
Dear Sue H.

I have baked bread in the Webber Kettle grill, but it was a long time
ago.  As I recall, I made a regular rye bread in loaf pans and baked it
over indirect heat -- that is, I banked the coals on each side of the
grill, leaving a space in the center with no coals.  After the bread was
ready, I put the two loaf pans side-by-side over the area with no coals,
covered the grill, and went away.  After a while, I probably rotated the
loaves so that the sides away from the coals now faced the coals and I
got more even baking.

I think that a kettle grill set up this way probably has a temperature
of about 350 degrees F., as chicken and stuff cooks in about the same
length of time as in an oven at that temp.

As I recall (and this may have been 20 years ago!), the bread turned out
fine, and one of the neighbors remarked on the aroma!  I haven't tried
it since, which is a pity, since we now have two Webber Kettles!

Try it, you may like it!

Keep baking bread!

Ruth