adobe oven

Susan Barron <homeandhearth@mwisp.net>
Sat, 21 Jul 2001 13:27:13 -0400
v101.n037.10
Deb in Virginia asked about the adobe oven I mentioned in a previous post.

The directions for the one we made are in an old cookbook published in
1974, the Sunset Italian Cook Book, written by the editors of Sunset Books
and Sunset Magazine, published by Lane Books, Menlo Park. I don't know if
it is still available or not.The materials are mud, bricks, cement, some
chicken wire and 1/2 of a cardboard drum & wood for the door. It's not
really complicated, but it did work well. It was wood fired. You simply
built the fire on the floor of the oven and when it had heated the oven
sufficiently the wood and ash was swept out of the oven and the bread put
in when it had cooled to the correct baking temp.

I have also read a very good book titled The Bread Builders by Daniel WIng
and Alan Scott It gives very detailed instructions for building masonry
ovens, and I know it is still available. The book also has great, useful
information about sourdough baking. Definitely worth looking into if you
are interested in wood fired brick ovens.

	Hope this helps.
						Susan