Re: baking bread on grill

"Tom Brown (EUS)" <EUSTOBR@am1.ericsson.se>
Mon, 23 Jul 2001 09:33:55 -0500
v101.n037.12
I have occasionally done this when camping - sourdough, english muffins,
sourdough cheese biscuits [ with a touch of garlic, of course].

biscuits can be  cooked/griled/baked in a heavy fry pan or griddle; need to
adjust the height /or fire to control the heat.

baking bread requires a little more watchfulness.  I usually use a cast
iron dutch oven [lined with aluminum foil - easy to remove, especially if
it accidentilly gets too hot on the bottom.  You put some of the fire coals
around [and on top] of the durch oven ; sort of guess how much it takes. [
there are "formulas"  of temperature and time if you use bricquets [ that
spelling doesn't look right - and I can't check on the bag as I don't use
them] .  One time I used my foil lined cardboard 'solar oven' box as a
enclosure  - and it worked very well. [of course it also caught fire one
time also!!

Any technique that is intended for barbeque [ slow, lower heat, as opposed
to grilling - fast, high heat] should work very well for baking.  After
all, people were baking bread for thousandds of years before all our
'modern appliances'-  and in many parts of the world they stilll do!

Tom brown,   the crazy camp cook