Re: Dough buckets

"Mark Judman" <Mark_Judman@COLPAL.COM>
Mon, 8 Oct 2001 09:54:25 -0400
v101.n048.6
Beverly,
I knead by hand all the time even though I've got an expensive mixer.  I've
never used a kneading-type dough bucket.  I assume you mean the kind with a
crank on top that you turn.  I think of it as an probably useless gimmick
that's probably much harder than hand kneading.  My point: with kneading
you're using both arms to supply the kneading power, whereas with a
hand-cranked kneading bucket you're holding the bucket with one arm while
cranking with the other.  I imagine there are probably people who swear by
them but I suggest that you save your money.

The only equipment you need to buy to do hand kneading is a flat blade
dough scraper or "bench knife" a rectangle about 4" x 6" of steel with a
handle along one of the long edges.  They cost about $5 and are
indispensible for kneading. Other than that you've got all the equipment
you need, assuming you've got a big bowl and a big wooden spoon.

Good luck.

Mark Judman <Mark_Judman@colpal.com>

Beverly <foodfun@swbell.net> wrote