Food scientist needed: Yeast query

"Max Prola" <mjprola@dial.pipex.com>
Mon, 8 Oct 2001 16:27:59 +0100
v101.n048.8
I don't like the smell of commercial yeast (dried or fresh) and whenever I
can, I use a biga instead. With a very small  amount of yeast (1/8 tspn) and
3 ounces of water and 3 ounces of flour, I can make a fine starter.
Sometimes I add another 3 or 4 ounces each of water and yeast to make it
even stronger.

By the time I get to use the starter, the yeast cells must have multiplied
tremendously.  Yet, the characteristic smell of the yeast is not present.
Does anyone know why this is so?  Is there perhaps something else in the
yeast that is responsible for its characteristic odor? (I raise this
question out of curiosity, not for any practical reason.)

Many thanks,

Max Prola
Cheshire, England