sourdough starters

Kathleen <kmschuller@home.com>
Fri, 12 Oct 2001 16:50:16 -0400
v101.n048.16
About five years ago I wanted a sourdough starter and bought the San
Francisco starter from Ed Wood and used it with many of the recipes in his
book.  Even when I didn't use it for months, the starter still behaved very
nicely when I took it out of the refrigerator.  I faithfully kept two jars
going in case I lost one.

We moved across country a few weeks ago and had to toss out the starter
rather than take it in the car in the heat.  (Yes, I did try the drying
method several years ago after someone of this list explained how, but it
didn't work for me.)  Now I want another starter.

I think that my options are to buy another one from Ed, buy one from King
Arthur, or start my own with flour and water.  I don't want to do the grape
routine a la Silverton.

Any suggestions?  Should I try my own as an experiment or should I buy a
starter?  Do both?

Kathleen