Re: Subject Yeast

"Sonia Martinez" <akakainn@gte.net>
Tue, 13 Nov 2001 16:13:32 -1000
v101.n054.14
 >From: Jadesq5@aol.com
 >Subject: yeast?
 >Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 13:06:10 EST

 > I just heard Shirley Corriher, a food chemist, on HGTV
 > talking about yeast.
 > She made the statement that yeast stored in the freezer loses its
 > potency over time.

Shirley Corriher was the person who taught me to make bread.  She used to
travel from her home in Atlanta and teach at my cooking school in SC many
years ago (early 80's)

Granted, I haven't seen her in 3-4 years, and we have not discussed bread
baking in a while, but she was the one who taught me to "buy the 1 # bag of
SAF and close it really tight, put a rubber band around it, slip it into a
seal-tight baggie and store in the freezer" !!!!!!

I wonder what happened in the years past to get her to change her mind?

Sonia