Bagels and Rye

"Werner Gansz" <dwgansz@prodigy.net>
Sun, 25 Nov 2001 16:27:53 -0500
v101.n056.6
Reggie: The note you posted last week with the article by Rose Beranbaum
gives me a chance to thank Ms. Beranbaum for passing on these recipes about
a year ago in this mail list. I copied both recipes at the time but forgot
to copy Ms Beranbaum's name. The bagel recipe is the first that I've tried
that really bakes up with well shaped and flavorful bagels. Refrigerating
the dough seems to be the key to getting the bagels to hold their shape in
home kitchen. Prior attempts all ended with bagels that looked like flat
leather washers. The Levy's Jewish Rye recipe results in a superb bread
with great texture and flavor. The idea of smothering the sponge under the
remaining dry ingredients is a unique and simple way to do a sponge without
having to bring everything out and measure a second time. I make the Rye
frequently and have made the bagels several times. They always work.

A belated thank you to Ms. Beranbaum and to this email list.

Werner Gansz