HearthKit Oven Insert

Sat, 01 Dec 2001 21:07:47 -0800
v101.n056.14
Well, Jeff and I used our HearthKit Oven Insert this week and we **love** it.

This is from their website ... www.heathkitchen.com

 >The key to a hearth oven's great results is its unique ability to absorb
 >heat and redistribute it evenly. Pressed at over 175 tons from cordierite,
 >a sturdy, specialized blend of earthen materials, HearthKit is fired at
 >over 2,300F and has excellent conductive properties. HearthKit features
 >two slightly curved sidepieces and a thick, tapered base designed to form
 >a chamber much like that of a wood burning beehive or brick pizza oven.
 >This balances the heat in the oven and releases it relentlessly back into
 >the food, making it possible to safely bake or roast at higher
 >temperatures without burning, or to slow cook more gently and evenly at
 >lower temperatures.
 >
 >Once HearthKit is heated to the desired temperature, it tends to remain at
 >that level creating a highly stable heat platform. Thus, three types of
 >heat - conductive, radiant and ambient - work together allowing you to
 >cook your usual dishes with superior results; meats and poultry cook
 >evenly and quickly, retaining their juiciness while breads with fabulous
 >crusts rise to their fullest volume.

We just decided to make the recipe that is in the instruction book for a
hearth roasted chicken ... it turned out so moist that I ate the white meat
(something I don't ever do).  Today we made 2 loaves of French bread and I
have to say that these are very tasty loaves.  The insert is easy to
install in any oven.  It cleans up easily (basically just wisk it off with
the brush that comes in the kit).  I don't think that this insert will be
coming out of our oven.  We can prepare just about any meal using it.  The
Hearthkit Oven Insert certainly does make wonderful artisian breads.