Low Carb Bread by Gabi Moeller

"Louise Hyson" <lhyson@mindspring.com>
Thu, 10 Jan 2002 22:54:52 -0500
v102.n002.4
Back in March, Reggie posted a low carb bread recipe with a request to
report if anyone baked it.

I finally baked the bread last weekend and am happy to report that it is
really great!;  better than any other low carb bread I have eaten - neither
the recipe from Dr. Atkins nor low carb breads I bought at what I consider
exorbitant prices come anywhere near it.

I did make some changes as suggested by Gabi and I am posting the recipe as
it was baked.

Gabi's Famous Bread

2 pkgs dry yeast
1 tsp sugar
1 cup water (warm, but not warmer than 110 degrees)
3 tbs olive oil (I used half olive oil and half canola)
2 eggs
1 1/3 cups vital wheat gluten flour
2/3 cup oat flour
1/2 cup unprocessed wheat bran
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp Splenda
1 1/2 tbsp baking powder
3 tbsp caraway seed

Put the yeast, sugar and water in the bottom of your mixer bowl. (I used my
Kitchen Aid for this).  In another bowl mix all dry ingredients together.

Add the oil and eggs to the yeast mixture then add the dry
ingredients.  Knead with dough hook.

Divide dough in half; place each half ina greased 8x4 pan (or a 9x5 pan)
and let rise in warm place for 45 minutes.

Bake in a 380 F oven for 25-35 minutes (mine was done at 30 minutes)

Turn out on rack to cool.

I used the 8x4 pans and the bread had nice density.  Gabi said it would
have risen properly in the 9x5 pans but when the bread cooled you get huge
bubbles - I prefer the slightly smaller size with no bubble.

If anyone wants to make this bread, note that the original recipe called
for 1/3 cup oat flour, 1/3 cup soy flour, 1/4 cup flaxseed meal and 1/4 cup
unprocessed wheat bran.

Because I do not like soy flour taste, I doubled up on the oat flour and
because I had no flaxseed meal and we had 12 inches of snow on the ground,
I doubled up on the unprocessed wheat bran (both of these Gabi's
suggestions)  However, there are more carbs in what I baked than in the
original recipe and low carbers should be aware of that.  I don't have the
carb count for the bread.

It slices very nicely with an electric slicing knife and with more
difficulty with  a manual knife.

lhyson@mindspring.com