proofing baskets

"Pedro S. Arellano III" <psa3@qwest.net>
Mon, 7 Jan 2002 00:34:26 -0600
v102.n002.19
Therese Klodnicki asked about Proofing baskets, bannetons, brotforms, dough
rising baskets, man you could get dizzy with so many names.  Anyway Terry,
can I call you that?  These baskets are purely for aesthetics.  You let
your dough rise in the basket and then flip it onto a baking sheet.  The
baskets are made with wooden dowels so the dough conforms to that peculiar
shape.  Thus you end up with a very particular and unique looking loaf.  I
suppose I should mention that you need to flour the living daylights out of
the things so as to make sure the dough will pop out.  Anywho, you end up
with a very rustic/artesian looking loaf.  Looks very European.  You see
these loaves on the cover of many bread cookbooks because, well cause there
just plain pretty.  So, there it is.  Hope this helped clear the proverbial
fog for you.