The "yeast question"

"Pedro S. Arellano III" <psa3@qwest.net>
Mon, 14 Jan 2002 12:19:51 -0600
v102.n003.8
Cheryl asked if she can use instant instead of active dry yeast.  The truth
is the world will not come to an end, well actually, it might but it
wouldn't be your fault.  All that will happen is that your bread might rise
a little faster.  Not the end of the world, right?  Why did I say
"might?"  Well technically speaking instant should be faster but if you put
instant yeast in water at 80 degrees it will rise much slower than an
active dry yeast with water at 110 degrees.  So in my very humble
uneducated opinion I don't think the difference is so big as to warrant
anxiety.  I use Active dry yeast all the time.  Because I can get it dirt
cheap at my local coop. I pay literally less than 1/4 what I paid for
jarred grocery store yeast.  If I am very, very rushed to make some
bread--.  Promise not to tell anyone?  Sometimes I put 2 Tb. in one loaf of
bread.  Shhhhh this has got to stay a secret.  If the BBD found out they
might take away my license to bake bread at home :-)  Just
kidding.  Seriously, you can switch between yeast and even fudge with yeast
amounts within reason (don't put 1/2 cup in a loaf, then something might
seriously explode)without cataclysmic results.  Well, there it is, my very
long winded answer to a short and succinct question.  Sorry.

Fellow Bread Baking Fiend,
Pedro