One more thing on bannetons.

TheGuamTarheels@webtv.net (The Ol' Tarheel)
Wed, 16 Jan 2002 05:21:34 -0500 (EST)
v102.n003.14
I believe it is silly to believe that your bread will taste any better
using an over-priced banneton.  I am a purist when it comes to some things
in the baking of bread, but having a $50 basket lined with a piece of linen
is not one of them.  I happen to be a basket maker so I created my own,
lined them with linen, and have just what I need at a fraction of the price
charged in various catalogs.  If you do not make baskets, perhaps you know
someone who does, or have a basket making group in your area.  Buying a
fancy basket is akin to buying an SUV only to do battle with the potholes
in a supermarket parking lot.  Go visit some artisan bakeries and look at
their bannetons.  These are old, beat-up baskets that get the job done, not
some la-de-da stuff that costs way too much.

                 Bob the Tarheel Baker