Walnut Raisin Bread

Kathleen <kmschuller@home.com>
Thu, 24 Jan 2002 06:08:37 -0500
v102.n004.14
I don't know why this recipe has pepper in the ingredient list.  I suspect
that the pepper prevents it from having a sweet taste.  Well, I was
suspicious of it as an ingredient and only added half the pepper.  It
leaves a very slightly warm feeling on the tongue.  I husband, being a
chile head and probably having burnt out taste buds, could not taste
it.  We like the bread, but, personally, I would have preferred cinnamon to
black pepper.

kathleen

                       *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                             Walnut Raisin Bread

Recipe By     : Moosewood Restaurant New Classics, page 403
Categories    : Breads                           Fruits
                  Grains And Cereals               *Breads

     1      cup           warm milk
     1      cup           warm water
     2      packages      dry yeast
     3      tablespoons   sugar
     3      tablespoons   vegetable oil or butter
                          at room temperature
     2      teaspoons     salt
     2      teaspoons     coarsely ground black pepper
     2      cups          whole wheat flour
       1/2  cup           cornmeal
     2      cups          unbleached white flour -- up to 3
     1      cup           chopped walnuts
     1 1/2  cups          raisins

Yields two 9-inch round loaves.  Prep and kneading time: 35
minutes.  Rising time: about 2 1/2 hours.  Baking about 30 minutes

A loaf of Walnut-Raisin Whole Wheat Bread from Bittersweet Baking in
Jacksonville, Vermont, made its way to Ithaca with Patti Harville, the
sister of Moosewood cooks Susan Harville and Nancy Lazarus.  Nancy loved
the bread so much that she called Janet McGrath in Vermont to ask for the
recipe.  We made some adjustments to accommodate home baking, and we thank
Janet for graciously sharing her expertise.

In a large bowl, combine the milk, water, yeast, and 1 tablespoon of the
sugar until the yeast dissolves.  Set aside in a warm place until the yeast
foams, about 10 minutes.

With a large spoon, mix in the remaining sugar, the oil or butter, salt,
pepper, whole wheat flour, and cornmeal.  Vigorously stir in 2 to 3 cups of
white flour, one cup at a time, until a soft ball forms.  Turn the dough
out onto a lightly floured board and knead for about 10 minutes, adding
more flour as needed to prevent sticking.

Add the walnuts and raisins to the dough and knead until well incorporated
and evenly distributed, about 3 minutes.  Place the dough in a large oiled
bowl, cover with a clean, damp cloth, and set in a warm place to rise until
doubled in size, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

Punch down the dough, and divide it into halves.  Press each half into a
buttered 9-inch round cake pan.  Set in a warm place to rise until doubled,
about 1/2 to 1 hour

Preheat the oven to 350F.  Then bake for about 30 minutes, until golden on
top and hollow-sounding when tapped on the bottom.  Cool on a rack.

PER 1-OUNCE SERVING: CALORIES, 2.4 G PROTEIN, 2.8 G FAT, 13.8 G
CARBOHYDRATES, 0.5 G SATURATED FATTY ACIDS, 0.4 MG CHOLESTEROL, 103.2 MG
SODIUM, 1.4 G TOTAL DIETARY FIBER