replies

Roxanne Rieske <rokzane@dimensional.com>
Sun, 3 Feb 2002 01:29:07 -0700
v102.n006.1
Peach_Rx wrote:

"2.  When using bannetons, I find it very difficult to tip the dough out
onto a peel without deflating it.  Anyone have any tips on doing this?  I
know that the more "slack" dough is preferable, but I just can't seem to
get the hang of doing it right."

If your  dough is deflating, it may be because it's overproofed. These
kinds of rustic breads should be proofed just until they are 1 1/2 times
their size, not doubled. Another problem could be that the dough isn't
strong enough to hold it's shape. I've found that all 80% hydration doughs
(most rustic breads) really benefit from the stretching and folding
technique. This stretches and strengthens the gluten strands even further
which helps the loaves to maintain their shapes. For more info, refer to
the Bread Bakers Apprentice.

"3.  I would like to find out the best way to "par bake" breads.  I can
only bake on the weekends, and I usually make multiple loaves.  I have
tried freezing the dough before the first rise, partially baking, and then
freezing.  I'd like to know what you find most successful."

When I parbake, I bake the loaves till  they reach 180 degrees. This
ensures that I get the oven rise that I want and that the protein structure
is set enough for  freezer storage.  Then when I want to finish baking, I
bake at 350 until the bread is the right color. I really don't recommend
parbaking for hearth breads, but for muli-grain breads, sandwhich loaves,
and enriched rolls and sweet breads this works well.

And about kitchen attatchments.....cooking.com usually has some good prices
on replacement parts. You can also buy them at Sir La Table and Williams Sonoma

Roxanne, the Nutty Baker
--
"they say you're only half alive till you give extra whitening a try" --jewel

"an angels face is tricky to wear constantly" --purple people

"you don't have to like me for who I am, but we'll see what you're made of
by what you make of me"  --ani