KA Beater Adjustment Clarification

"Amy A. Smereck" <aasmereck@mindspring.com>
Sun, 03 Feb 2002 15:18:10 -0500
v102.n006.9
Dear Melissa and interested others:

The "Beater to Bowl Clearance" section of the KA manual pictures the screws
involved.  On the 4 1/2 qt model (where the bowl attaches to the bottom)
this is the screw you can see when you tip the head back. You turn it
counter clockwise to raise the beater and clockwise to lower the beater.

On the other model, it is the screw between two Phillip's head screws (sort
of in a triangle) apparently revealed when you put the bowl lift down and
look upwards under the mixer head.  I don't have this one so I am
describing the picture in the manual.  Again, Counter clockwise to raise
and clockwise to lower.

The manual cautions to unplug the unit while making these adjustments. They
are adjusted at the factory but apparently don't stay adjusted or aren't
adjusted very thoroughly.

I find if you smear some butter or shortening on the bottom of the bowl you
can check and see if the paddle is rubbing or not.  If it does, you can see
the tracings of the paddle on the bowl when you give it a few turns at low
speed.  Resmear and test again.  The goal is to have it close to the bowl
without coming into contact. The manual says "When properly adjusted the
flat beater will not strike on bottom or side of bowl.  If beater or wire
whip is adjusted too close so that it strikes botteom of bowl, coating may
wear off beater or wires may wear through on wire whip."

It may be wise to check this every so often to keep things in tune.  I
imagine the rubbing puts extra stress on the motor (especially when baking
my mother's anise drop cookies which require 45 minutes of beating.)

The KA number is 1-800-541-6390; maybe they can send you a new manual, if
you can survive the time on hold.

Happy mixing,
Amy