KA mixer paddles

Andie Paysinger <asenji@earthlink.net>
Sat, 02 Feb 2002 08:45:55 -0800
v102.n006.24
One of my KA mixers is 35 years old and has a plain metal hook and paddle.
The finish on the cast aluminum is still the way it was the day I took it
out of the box.

The newer one has the white coated hook and paddle and I also purchased the
"new" rounded hook a year or so ago, also coated. The paddle has a few
chips in it, not from mixing but from being dropped in the sink, etc.   I
have never noticed any of the coating coming off into the food and I use
the mixer constantly. Storing the paddle and hook in a drawer with other
utensils or in the bowl of themixer is not a good idea, hang them up if you
can find a spot.

My 20 quart Hobart mixer has plain cast aluminum paddles and hook and there
is no problem with using them in acidic materials because one is not going
to leave them in there long enough for the aluminum to be affected.

If you are worried about the coating you can look for one of the cast
aluminum paddles from the older machines.  I found one at an appliance
repair shop - someone had taken in an old mixer which could not be repaired
and just left it there along with the paddle which I bought for $5.00. I
have also seen them come up on ebay from time to time.

Andie Paysinger