pumpkin scones

Fri, 15 Feb 2002 15:38:05 -0800
v102.n007.9
This is from a friend of mine and they look wonderful.  You might enjoy
making them also ...

I made some major adaptations to the "Sunday Morning Scones" recipe in
"Secrets of Fatfree baking", and came up with these-they were really yummy!

Pumpkin Scones

2 cp unbleached flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
2 to 4 Tbsp brown sugar, optional
1/4 cp reduced-fat margarine or light butter (I used ICBINB lite sticks)
2/3 cp unsweetened pumpkin (canned) or baby food sweet potatoes or squash
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cp lowfat buttermilk (or nonfat)
skim milk

Mix first 3 dry ingredients in a bowl (and sugar, if you are using it), and
cut in the butter until the mixture looks like small peas.  Add the rest of
the ingredients, except for the skim milk, and combine to form a stiff
dough.  Pat out on a lightly floured surface with floured hands to 1/2 inch
thickness.  Cut with a glass or scone or cookie cutter and place scones
onto a pammed cookie sheet.  You can also just cut the batter into wedges
and place 1/2 inch apart on the cookie sheet.  Brush tops with skim
milk.  Bake at 400 F for 15-18 minutes, until lightly browned.  Serve hot.

*Note - Use the sugar if you like slightly sweet scones as I do-otherwise,
leave it out for more traditional scones.